Pie is always a favorite at picnics and cookouts, but the usual apple or berry pie is already bound to be on the table. This festive pie is full of cherry and blueberry fillings—and dons a stars-and-stripe pattern—for the ultimate celebratory dessert!
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Take one half of your piecrust, roll it out, and lay it in a pie pan. Make a dam/divider by tearing off a piece of aluminum foil and folding it over several times until it’s about 2 inches high. Then fold the foil in half, creating a sharp crease in the middle. Before you lay it in the pie plate, trim the ends to fit.
- Open your foil dam/divider to a 90-degree angle, and place it in your pie plate.
- Carefully spoon the cherry filling against the foil divider, and the same for the blueberry.
- Use the entire can of cherry filling to fill up the cherry side of the pie, then finish filling the blueberry side to match. Once full, carefully lift up the foil divider to reveal a sharp boundary of cherry and blueberry.
- Trim any excess pie crust to slightly outside the outer edge of the pie plate, then roll out the remainder of the piecrust. With a pizza cutter or knife, cut 6 strips of crust approximately 1-inch high and long enough to touch the sides of the pie pan.
- Lay one pastry strip at the bottom of the blue filling to create a clean line. For the stripes next to the blueberry filling, carefully cut one edge at a perfect right angle to place at the dividing edge of the red and blue pie filling and lay across the cherry pie filling. Trim and press the edges of the strip laying on the pie crust edges into the crust. Continue until all 6 strips have been positioned.
- Using a star cookie cutter, cut your stars out of the pastry. Lay stars all over the blueberry section of the pie. Fold the pastry to the inside, and crimp with your fingertips.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes, or until light golden brown. For a browner crust, brush the pastry with egg-whites.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Mar 29, 2023
Essential Questions for First-Time Homebuyers
| Aug 17, 2020
Best Home Upgrades for Under $500
| Jun 5, 2021
Value-Added Outdoor Improvements
| Mar 1, 2021
Have You Cleaned These Dirty Areas Lately?
| Apr 19, 2023