Sugar cookie cups are filled with custard and topped with caramelized sugar in this crème brûlée-inspired cookie!
Makes 2 dozen cookies
Ingredients: For the cookies
Ingredients: For the custard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until smooth. Add the flour in batches with baking powder and salt, forming a dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Grease a mini muffin pan with pan release spray. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of cookie dough into each muffin cup and then cover each with a small square of parchment. Use pie weights or dry beans to keep the cookies from rising. Bake 15–20 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
- While the cookies are baking, simmer the milk and vanilla in a medium pot over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. (Just until scalding).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks until fluffy.
- Carefully ladle hot milk into the egg yolk mixture a little at a time, tempering the milk, while whisking. Once the eggs and milk are completely combined, return the mixture to the pot, and heat. Bring to a low simmer, and whisk in the cornstarch. Once thickened, remove from the heat, and let cool completely before filling the cookies.
- To serve, spoon custard into the cookies and top with sugar. Using a brûlée torch, caramelize the sugar until brown and crunchy.
Tip: Need a time saver? Use store-bought sugar cookie dough instead of homemade!
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Mar 29, 2023
Essential Questions for First-Time Homebuyers
| Aug 17, 2020
Best Home Upgrades for Under $500
| Jun 5, 2021
Value-Added Outdoor Improvements
| Mar 1, 2021
Have You Cleaned These Dirty Areas Lately?
| Apr 19, 2023