Short ribs were made for grilling! These meaty ribs are rubbed, grilled, and topped with an easy-to-make Pennsylvania Dutch-style chowchow: an amazing pickled condiment of cabbage, corn, tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
Ingredients: For the chow chow
Ingredients: For the short ribs
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring apple cider vinegar, water, salt, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, turmeric, and crushed red pepper flakes to a simmer, whisking frequently. Once salt and sugar have dissolved, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Combine the cabbages, corn, peppers, tomatoes, and onions in a large bowl, and then stuff the mixture into a Mason jar. Fill with the apple cider mixture. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, stir salt, paprika, cumin, garlic and chili powders, and brown sugar together. Coat the ribs with the rub, and grill for 10–12 minutes for medium rare, flipping frequently to make sure all sides are nice and charred.
- Let the ribs rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving, and plate with the chowchow.
Tips: Extra chowchow will last for a few weeks refrigerated. It is excellent on hot dogs as well.
You may also like:
| Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
| Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
| Mar 29, 2023
Essential Questions for First-Time Homebuyers
| Aug 17, 2020
Best Home Upgrades for Under $500
| Jun 5, 2021
Value-Added Outdoor Improvements
| Mar 1, 2021
Have You Cleaned These Dirty Areas Lately?
| Apr 19, 2023