10 Creative Ways to Use a Spare Room
Decor | 0 Likes
If you feel it’s time to repurpose your spare room, check out these tips to help get you started.
- Home office
- Life has drastically changed since the pandemic began, and working remotely has become part of this lifestyle change. Turning your spare room into an office can separate your workspace from your personal space, promoting a better work-life balance.
- Craft room/art studio
- If you’re looking for somewhere to channel your artistic side, why not turn your spare room into a place for creativity? Bring in your drafting table, art materials, and craft supplies. Websites like Etsy can provide innovative ideas for setting one up.
- Study/reading room
- There’s nothing like kicking back after a long day and enjoying some peace and quiet. Adding a comfy chair, soft lighting, shelving for your books, and piped-in relaxing music may be all you need. You could even install a gas or electric fireplace—perhaps making this your solution for a second living room.
- Music room/recording studio
- Do you love jamming with your friends or playing your favorite musical instrument? This is the ticket to having your own musical space. If you live in an apartment or townhome, you may need to install some carpeting to absorb the sound, but if you are in a detached home, go for it!
- Game room/gaming room
- Who doesn’t love a game night? You can devote this spare room to fun, whether it’s having friends over to play your favorite board games or you and your family playing your favorite video games.
- Yoga studio/mediation room
- Create an oasis in your spare room—developing good feng shui is a great start to making a perfect place to practice yoga or meditate. Add a diffuser with essential oils, plants, and meditative music to make the most of your in-home refuge.
- Home gym
- Here’s a chance to set up a gym the way you want it! Couple it with a sound system or large-screen TV to further enhance your workouts.
- Home theater
- Since COVID-19, more people are enjoying movies and videos in the comfort of their own homes. Convert your spare room into a home theater with a big-screen TV, a surround-sound system, and a few lounge chairs or a Barcalounger sofa, making it a true movie experience. Don’t forget the popcorn!
- Dedicate a special place for the children in your life. Keeping their toys and art-and-craft supplies relegated to one room allows you to avoid the inevitable clutter when the kiddies show up. More importantly, they’ll love having their own playroom.
- Additional walk-in closet
- Think about turning your spare room into a walk-in closet. Add a makeup vanity, a shoe rack, or shelving and hanging space for your out-of-season clothing. It will be a dream come true for reorganizing your wardrobe.
There are many ways to convert a spare room into a usable space rather than a traditional guest room—your options are virtually endless. Explore all your options to decide what’s best for you and your home, and have fun doing it!
You may also like:
Decor | Mar 25, 2020
Make Your Own Can Planters
Home | Jul 8, 2021
Tips for Redesigning Your Patio Space
Life & Culture | Aug 17, 2020
Best Home Upgrades for Under $500
Home | Mar 1, 2021
Have You Cleaned These Dirty Areas Lately?
Home | Jun 5, 2021
Value-Added Outdoor Improvements
Real Estate | May 22, 2019
10 Top Traits of Good Neighbors
Real Estate | Apr 22, 2020